W. Cameron's Reviews > A Dog's Journey

A Dog's Journey by W. Bruce Cameron

1199167
May 13, 2012

(Review from the author)

When I was a child, I read Old Yeller and absolutely loved it--right up to the moment when they KILL OLD YELLER.

I am willingly spoiling the plot, the same way I would yell DON'T DRINK THE POISON at somebody. Why read a book where you fall in love with the dog and then, in the end, the dog dies?

I wrote A Dog's Purpose as a love poem to the relationship between people and their pets. And, since true love never dies, and no truer love comes from a source more treasured than the heart of a dog, I gave my readers a gift--the dog doesn't die in the end. That's not really a plot spoiler, that's the premise.

This means that at the end of A Dog's Purpose, the dog is still alive, leading me to wonder, what next? Could there be another purpose, or an extension of the same purpose?

A Dog's Journey picks up where A Dog's Purpose left off. If you loved the adventures of Buddy/Bailey, you'll want to know what happens next, because it turns out that Ethan has a grandchild, and there is no one better to look out for an adventuresome, accident-prone child than a loving dog--especially a dog as wise as Bailey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dog's Journey.

Finished Reading
May 13, 2012 – Shelved

message 1: by Patricia (new) - added it

Patricia Truely a 5 STAR

Carla I loved this book and didn't want it to end. Hope I get Emory's Gift at Merry Christmas time!

Joan Dotterer I've read several of this authors books and have really enjoyed his writing

Jenny Smith Thank you. My first dog (as an adult) was sick when I was listening to the first, and it helped me so much. He's fine now, but I think of your books often. They truly define my idea of man and dogs as it should be.

Lori I read both A Dog's Purpose and a Dog's Journey and loved both. I am a huge dog lover and liked the idea that Bailey kept his memory though out all the dogs he became. Just read A Dog's Purpose again.

Beatté Did you read a dog,s purpose if not you must read. Also just brought a Dogs Journey on your recommendation I know I will love as I adored Bruce's first book. One of my favourites. Thankyou for reminding me to buy this book Cheers B

Beatté Cried the whole way through so great book couldn't stop until it was finished 5/5

Judy Desetti Is there any material that could be considered too much for a child? I see Accelerated Reader rated it for Upper Grades. I want to give the title out to my 4th & 5th graders as a reward for reading over a million words this year. I don't want to get parents upset if there is content that is for mature readers only. Please let me know. THANKS.

message 9: by Chloe (new) - added it

Chloe All your books have deeper meanings than a lot of people can understand, but that's what I like about them.

Marcie I love the books. I just watched A Dog's Purpose yesterday and cried through it but loved it! It's hard to put ADJ down. But I read it with my dog sitting next to me and can't help but wonder "what are you thinking" when he looks at me. I definitely look at my dog differently after reading the books. I may sound silly but I feel I have a deeper relationship with my sweet dog after reading our books. Keep them coming!

Sara C. As a 5th grader, I have read both A Dog's Purpose and A Dog's Journey and I think both of them are very intriguing.The plots are intricately laid yet I don't think this should be a series. The two books were so emotional I just don't think it would be a good idea.

Libertad I've loved so much both books, I've felt so deeply every situation, experience, barks and licks and, most of all, I've remembered so, so, so much my own dog, passed a year and a half ago after almost 17 years of joy and loyalty, that the only thing that I can do (that I must to) is thanking you so much for these incredibles and moving novels. Seriously, you can't imagine how good your stories have done to me. Thank you from the heart.