Katie's Reviews > The Good Doctor

The Good Doctor by Damon Galgut

May 13, 2012

it was ok

Ah, the classic good vs. evil conflict. There is a good, idealistic doctor and a bad, self-destructive doctor who is doing nothing but treading water in his life. They meet, they befriend each other, they have conflicts, they have huge blowup arguments, and each permanently affects the course of the other's life.

I'm not typically a fan of good vs. evil stories because they tend to be so overly simplistic (this is why I dislike most movies). And this was not overly simplistic, so I appreciated that about it. But what I didn't like was that even though the "bad" doctor had his shades of gray, and was certainly far from totally evil, I just didn't get the motivations behind a lot of his actions. I enjoy reading about people who are nothing like me because I love delving into a foreign mind and figuring out what makes it tick, but I didn't get what made him tick.

Also, sort of inexplicably, although this was obviously a very good book and very well-written, I just didn't enjoy it for some reason. It was a slog to get through. A strange reading experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Doctor.

Started Reading
May 1, 2012 – Finished Reading
May 13, 2012 – Shelved

message 1: by J (new) - added it

J I agree. The cover wants us to believe it is about S. African politics, gov't but it drags on and on about this paranoid doctor (he seems to "sense" a bad vibe everywhere) and little about the hard core issues of S.A. I slogged through hoping it would finally get to something that made sense but it never did. A waste of time.