John Daulton's Reviews > The Tube Riders

The Tube Riders by Chris  Ward

May 12, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi

A fun romp with lots of action, cool bad guys and an interesting and believable world that is created very well. I'd call this book a young adult book, but would qualify that it's not young adult for parents who are out of touch with the YouTube generation, who think that anything "politically correct" is still a good idea, or who are super religious, etc. But, for the rest of the universe, the plot, characters and action would appeal very well to the sensibilities of the sub twenty-five male in particular. For the over forty crowd, probably not, without a lot of caveats allowed.

The story starts out really well and the first half of the book had me enthralled and even dreaming about it on a few nights. The plot gets a little shaky and felt contrived around the 60% to 70% mark, and I confess I was really frustrated by parts of it that seemed way too easy in places as the story got past the midway mark. However, the author saves it pretty nicely in the last ten or fifteen percent of the book with some really interesting world-building and some plot strategies that didn't seem contrived and were set up in the early parts of the book. A fun conclusion to read, all in all.

While I admit this book has its bumps and typos etc., in the end it comes down to the question of, would I read the next book if the author made a sequel? Yes, I would. I think this author has potential to really grow into someone capable of serious awesomeness.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tube Riders.