Beth's Reviews > Heaven Is Here: An Incredible Story of Hope, Triumph, and Everyday Joy

Heaven Is Here by Stephanie Nielson

May 12, 2012

Read 2 times. Last read May 12, 2012 to May 15, 2014.

Even though I've not been a regular reader at Nienie's blog (I don't know what it is; the formatting? I just can't get into it), I was familiar with this story -- I've enjoyed Stephanie on the Mormon Channel's Conversations and Mormon Messages. But even if I knew the jist of this book already, I really appreciated reading it in its entirety, with the whole ordeal told in detail. She tells about the plane crash and her long recovery with such candor that I found her all the more relatable -- and even more likeable -- than the Nie I've met through short interviews or the even shorter blog posts.

By the end I was weeping right along with her as she recounts how her daughter Jane finally looks at her, how it gave her courage to continue healing. And when I set the book down, ready to mother my own children, I found myself more patient with them -- I was armed with a new perspective on what a privilege it is to be a mother.

This was an uplifting, inspiring book and a fast read, too -- worth getting on the hold list for. (MAY 2012)

I just reread this one, and I stand by the four-star rating! I didn't cry this time (I know; I am heartless), but both times I've read this book, I have felt recommitted to my role as a mother upon finishing it. I am glad I read this again! (MAY 2014)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven Is Here.

Stacey Just finished this book yesterday! Such a great read for the Mother's Day weekend.

Beth Stacey -- I saw that you were reading it at the same time I was! I agree; it was a good book to read for Mother's Day.

Danica Loved it too...and I agree, I've never been able to get into the blog, but I really loved her honesty throughout her healing process.