Nancy's Reviews > Bring Up the Bodies

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction, favorites, tudor-england

Brilliant, again. With sentences like this, as a candle is lit: The light shivers, then settles against dark wood like discs pared from a pearl. Everybody knows this story, of Catherine of Aragon, Henry the VIII, and Anne Boleyn, but that story has never been told like this before. And I don't just mean the obvious - that it's told from the perspective of Thomas Cromwell, who has come down in history as Henry's hatchet-man, but who here, in these pages, has wit and humanity as well as the shrewdness and intelligence we would expect from someone appointed to such high office who was so low-born. No, it's Mantel's ability to take us right inside the corridors and rooms, and up and down the staircases, of the royal Tudor court. The scene inside the tent where Henry is taken after he falls from his horse during a tournament is an amazing evocation of place and personality written in the most amazing prose. While you're reading it, you are completely transported, you are there. Afterwards, you can't stop wondering: How did Mantel do that, write that, conjure that up? I was astonished over and over again reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bring Up the Bodies.

May 12, 2012 – Started Reading
page 269
page 300
page 379
May 17, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Steve Fantastic review Nancy. You nailed it.

Nancy Steven wrote: "Fantastic review Nancy. You nailed it."

Thank you, Steven! What a remarkable writer Hilary Mantel is. I want to read more of her work.

Suzanne Nancy, it's so funny that you quoted that sentence about the light in your review. It is one of the spots where I stopped and went "wow." That vividness. It is amazing how she captures that image. I am enjoying this book so much!

Nancy Suzanne wrote: "Nancy, it's so funny that you quoted that sentence about the light in your review. It is one of the spots where I stopped and went "wow." That vividness. It is amazing how she captures that image..."

I love that!

(I think Mantel is pretty brilliant.)