Becky Boudreau's Reviews > Horrid

Horrid by Katrina Leno

bookshelves: arc-wishlist, 2020-anticipated-releases, 2020-reads, owlcrate-read, own-read

Rating: 4/5 star

TW/CW: death of a parent, grief, pica (paper, flowers, hair), past history of abuse, brief mention of animal cruelty/death, murder, & suicide

This was a really interesting read, I loved how eerie and atmospheric it was. I found myself flying through this book, eagerly wondering where the story was going and desperate to find out what was going to happen next. Unfortunately, I really wish I didn't read the synopsis as so much of the mystery was spoiled.

“It isn't always easy. Returning to the past.”

This is one of those "weird" books that is going to be pretty polarizing, similarly to Wilder Girls by Rory Powers. I did enjoy how open-ended it was, though there is always a tiny part that wishes the remaining questions were answered. One thing I love about the horror genre is that the "is it real or supernatural" question is genuinely up for debate. This book had so many moments that allow the reader to question what is and isn't real.

Katrina Leno does such a fantastic job weaving mental health in her books, and this book addresses so many issues, mainly grief, death of a parent, and pica (the eating of non-food items). Pica is one of those disorders that I remember learning about in my classes, but I don't think I've seen it in any media (other than My Strange Addiction). I thought Leno did a really great job highlighting the complexity of the disorder and wove it into the overarching narrative.

I thought Leno did a fantastic job highlight the importance of generational mental health. So many disorders have some sort of hereditary component and this is one of the few pieces of media I've seen actively highlight it.

Final Thoughts

This was a super compelling, eerie, weird book that is a fantastic October read. I don't think this book is for everybody, but if you're a fan of the open-ended weird titles, then definitely pick this one up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horrid.

April 16, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
April 16, 2020 – Shelved
May 8, 2020 – Shelved as: arc-wishlist
May 8, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020-anticipated-releases
October 11, 2020 – Started Reading
October 12, 2020 –
page 127
39.44% "Ah this book is so eerie, I love it"
October 13, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020-reads