Javier Real's Reviews > Corazón de Ulises

Corazón de Ulises by Javier Reverte

A magnificent book that talks about an even more magnificent story, the Greek Civilization history. With an easy prose to read and follow, Javier Reverte, mixes in an extraordinary way, historic facts, explanations, personal reflections, poetry; all of this in a tale of extraordinary places, filled with history and a spirit that transcends for centuries.
I have always wanted to read more about the Greek Civilization, its history, mythology, inventions, contributions to humanity, etc. and this book is the right place to start. It helped me to learn more about this great Civilization. The book can be read in a very structure way and it summarize very well the development of this civilization.
I remember when I was studying History in Highschool and that this subject didn´t have a big impact on me , I think it has a lot to do with the structure of the study. Instead of trying to learn/memorize names, dates, places; we should reflect on the impact in humanity that this civilization had and still has. Even now after 2,000 years the teachings of the Hellenic Civilization are part of our life and culture.
I feel deeply saddened when a read the moments where, because of divisions and intolerance, great cultural treasures disappear, multiple buildings and temples were destroyed, and thousands of books were burned.
As he continue to develop the story, the author begins to tell it as type of traveler’s guide, do not confuse it with a touristic guide. The author shows us in a very natural and open way, how to travel and discover these wonderful places.
I hope one day I can visit one or some of these wonderful places. At the same time, I hope that I can read some of the other authors that Javier references in the book and doing so I can learn even more about the great Greece.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Corazón de Ulises.

April 16, 2020 – Started Reading
April 16, 2020 – Shelved
May 7, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Hai (new)