Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Entangled

Entangled by Nikki Jefford

May 11, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: death-by-paranormal-romance, kat-s-book-reviews, to-ya-or-not-to-ya, ya-pnr-maddness
Read from September 21 to 28, 2012

If there’s one thing I hate, it’s this. When there’s a reasonably professional, respectful self-published whose book I just don’t jive with.

The concept is pretty cool. One twin dies and then her mother performs illicit black magic to bring her back. Problem? She has to share her twin’s body like a time share thing. Awesome, right?

And it’s not like the writing is necessarily bad. The novel’s been reasonably well edited and clearly Jefford has put a lot of effort into providing a professional product to her readers. I think this is a great credit to her.

But my problem with the book came from the inexplicable actions of the characters. They acted outside the realm where you would think sense and reason exist. Their response to stress and stimuli were just foreign and completely alien to me. There was this great divide between the events of the novel, and the response of the characters.

For example, Graylee and Charlene are the twins sisters and it’s quite clear from the beginning of the novel that Charlene is a selfish horror-cow of epic proportions. When Charlene’s boyfriend leaves her for Stacey, Graylee and her mother reasonably believe that Charlene will hurt Stacey. Like just straight up murder her. There is an amazing lack of response to this from either of them. Just stop imagine if your sibling or child was honestly someone you believe would murder another girl over something as stupid as a highschool boyfriend. Just look at whatever family member is closest to you and wonder what your reaction would be if you genuinely thought they could just murder the hell out of someone.

Just the nonplussed reaction by either of them to this fact is one of many baffling character decisions in this book. Raj is another one. Why does he suddenly like Graylee? Why is Graylee terrified of him? Why is she very suddenly not terrified of him? What is it with Graylee’s complete and utter reaction to her own death? There is no chemistry between these characters because I couldn’t, for a moment, think up a single thing they actually had in common – other than both like an invisibility spell.

I found everyone in this book almost completely lacking reasonable motivation. They just seemed really cardboard and did things without genuine incentive.

The plot was, similarly, overwrought with ridiculousness. On the plus side, I finished the book and it wasn’t a horrible read. Many people will probably enjoy this book a lot if they’re into that sort of thing. I personally need a stronger, tighter storyline, plot and characters.

For Spoilers:

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entangled.

09/28/2012
49.0% ""Hey, my Mom performed intensely illegal black magic to bring me back from the dead! How many people can I tell in one day!?"" 1 comment
06/07/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Parent Very nice, fair review...I have this and want to read it very soon! My problem is that I get out so many library books and have to read them before they're due, I never get to all the self-pubbed books on my kindle. They're languishing!

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Monroe Another beautiful cover wasted...

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina Wilder Excellent review. The premise sounds great, and I'm glad to see a self-published book was well-edited. I think I still might read this one.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hipple Well, it sounds entertaining? And while the cover is quite pretty, it looks to me like she might start chowing down on that rose. Maybe she will.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina Wilder Sarah wrote: "Well, it sounds entertaining? And while the cover is quite pretty, it looks to me like she might start chowing down on that rose. Maybe she will."

Or maybe it's a goblet in the shape of a rose, which I would buy so hard.

Annathea From the start, I thought Charlene was insane, and was tested to prove it. So Greylee and their Mum were used to her behaviour and didn't make much of a deal. Only then their behaviour make sense.
Despite all the irrationality and character's strange actions, I quite enjoy it.

Gina Smith And I would also like to know, what happened to Stacey's soul? It was obvious she was in there but all of a sudden Graylee is just able to take over? With no explanation?