K's Reviews > The Speed of Light

Sep 14, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: holocaust
Recommended to K by: Shelly

2.5 stars, grudgingly rounded up to 3 because I really couldn't give this the same rating I gave to "A Thousand Splendid Suns." (See what happens once you start with grade inflation?)

Initially, I found the rapidly shifting viewpoints jarring and annoying, and I felt like I just wanted to get into one person’s story and perspective. After a while I did get used to it and found that it moved the book faster; despite that, it’s not my preferred reading style. This was compounded by the fact that I found Paula’s viewpoint/story way more compelling than Sola’s or Julian’s. The Sola-Julian romance was extremely predictable and heavy-handed (could you remind me again that Julian is noticing Sola’s attractiveness or that Sola is fascinated by Julian’s mystery?), and I also thought Rosner was playing up their dovetailing traumatic histories way too much without showing us much else about common ground between them or the developing relationship. Paula’s story, on the other hand, was interesting and a little more complex in my view. I also felt it was written with a slightly lighter touch, although here too, some things (such as her manager's and lover/mentor’s controlling attitudes) were way too obvious and simplistic.

Overall, although the writing was decent I wasn't much enamored of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Speed of Light.

09/20/2017 marked as: read

Phil I agree that the romance was done in a heavy-handed manner, and somehow managed to forget that point when writing my own review. I really don't like being repeatedly hit over the head with things like this. I felt the same way when reading "The Shipping News" and, as with that book, I had to put this one down a few times to clear my head of it. Thanks for the review.

message 2: by K (new) - rated it 3 stars

K Thanks for your comment, Phil. Unfortunately many books don't manage to pull off that delicate balance of, on the one hand, preparing the reader for upcoming plot developments so they don't seem completely random, and on the other hand, subtlety. I didn't read "The Shipping News" but I've read other books that were similarly ham-fisted.