Greg's Reviews > Life Together

Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

May 11, 2012

Read from May 11 to June 03, 2012

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the great Christian minister slaughtered for his beliefs by the Nazis, in this book describes his vision for the Christian living in the twentieth century. Despite written long ago in a horrific time, this book still has outstanding meaning. I cannot do it justice in a short review other than to say that Bonhoeffer writes with a clarity of purpose, and out of such an authentic sense of love, that I am astounded every time I pick up one of his books. He believes that the commission of a Christian is not to surround himself with friends or wall himself off from the world, but that the Christian belongs "in the thick of foes." He distinguishes human love, which has "little regard for truth," from spiritual love, which concerns itself with the will of God and truth itself. He inspires Christians to intercede on behalf of one another, as it is the great calling of the Christian community without which it cannot survive. Bonhoeffer also asks Christians to listen, as those who do not listen to others find themselves "no longer listening to God either." Finally, he asks Christians to be prepared to be "interrupted by God." These few notes are the items I took away, but like all great writing, I'm sure everyone learns something different from this great work.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Together.

12/16/2016 marked as: read