Jennifer Wood's Reviews > Rape Girl

Rape Girl by Alina Klein

bookshelves: arc-reviews, lbs

I didn't like this book. I didn't like it because of the way it made me feel. On the other hand, I don't have to like the way a book makes me feel to know it was a profound book, a great read. I devoured it in almost one afternoon, but had to take breaks when the subject matter overwhelmed me.

I remember when I was in school, the subject came up, and the consensus was to not tell, to not press charges, because the rape survivor was the one persecuted.

I loved that the rape in this book wasn't violent. It didn't leave obvious marks. There was nothing to scream rape. This book wasn't even totally about rape, but it was about a girl, a girl who had an experience and stayed true to herself. It was believable. It was about her family and her friends and her enemies. It was about a boy, who was---well, you'll have to read that part. I will say he was human. And it was about the potential future.

Lastly, it was a book about hope. A story of life. I want a sequel, because I want to see how Val goes on with her life and how school changes for her. I became invested in her and hope for the best. Val became more than a character in book. To me, she embodied that girl, the girl who didn't have a choice. The girl who we've all met at least once in our lives, even though we might not realize it. I admire that girl, and that's not something I give to many.

I don't know the release date, but I do know it will be pre-ordered, so it can go on my shelf for my children to one day read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rape Girl.

May 11, 2012 – Started Reading