wout's Reviews > Caffeine: How Caffeine Created the Modern World

Caffeine by Michael Pollan

bookshelves: audiobook, history, health, social

The pacing of this story was quick and kept the attention easily, even if one's recently abstaining from caffeine. Talking about the history and impact of society's most accepted and widespread drug. Michael Pollan did a great job in relaying his experience with temporarily abstaining of coffee and later on using it as a tool, but insinuates it will creep back to an everyday ordeal. For the coming weeks I would like to follow his plan and just drink coffee on Sunday mornings and only then. Perhaps Saturdays could work as well, but I usually tend to do my long run on Sundays, so it would beneficial for that too. I appreciated the appearance of Matthew Walker and his view on caffeine's effect on the sleep quality. I do notice, that even when I drink coffee in the morning that my sleep is impacted, so that would be a good motivation. One of the more insightful bits was about the difference in spot-focus and canvas focus, the latter would enhance creativity by loose association. Caffeine enhances the spot-focus and therefore linear thinking and might thus reduce one's creativity. Knowing what it can and cannot do, might help one use it for the right use cases. Without coffee, there wouldn't be this catalyst for the age of reason. The fact that it was a replacement for alcohol in the seventeenth century was new to me and that the coffee-houses played a big role in the enlightenment by exchanging ideas, so much so that the first modern encyclopedia found its origin in one of the coffee-houses in France.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caffeine.

April 12, 2020 – Started Reading