Julie's Reviews > Dangerous Favor

Dangerous Favor by Joyce DiPastena

May 11, 2012

Read in May, 2012

When I finished another book, it was late at night and I had that let-down feeling, wishing I had something else just as captivating to read. There, just staring up at me was Dangerous Favor by Joyce DiPastena. It was already late, but I thought to myself, I'll just read one chapter. Wow, was I ever sucked in. Reading until 2 a.m. sort of sucked in. The next day I carried that book with me everywhere, desperate enough to read even a paragraph or two while I was at a red light, just so I could see what happened! I read whenever I had two minutes during the rest of the day and finished by supper time. (Yes, my kids got a great dinner that night. I promise.)

This is a medieval adventure romance that had it all---mayhem, massive misunderstandings, medieval jousting, and of course, murder. It was like an incredible French mille-feuille with all the layers of delicious intrigue mixed in with the cream of romance and love.

Mathilde, our heroine, is determined to find a man to help her prove her father's innocence since he was accused of being a thief. She meets Lord Therri and knows from the instant she sees him, after he's accidentally knocked her to the floor, that he is the knight of her dreams. His friend, Etienne, with his laughing eyes and teasing voice takes a favor from Mathilde to wear on the jousting fields the next day, but Mathilde, an innocent, believes Etienne to be a seducer only trying to make the lovely Lady Violette jealous. The laugh out loud misunderstandings and hijinks that follow quickly become serious when an assassins' crossbow cuts through the air and murderous demands are dealt with. Just when I thought I had it all figured out, a new layer was introduced and I was quickly turning pages wondering who could really be trusted and if our fair hero would prevail.

I would highly recommend this book to any historical lover. The medieval setting is incredible, and the author has given her readers plenty of action, intrigue, and clean romance---all the ingredients of a book that will remain on my keeper shelf.

Originally reviewed on http://ldswritermom.blogspot.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Favor.