C.G. Drews's Reviews > Magic by Midnight

Magic by Midnight by Allison S. Bass

bookshelves: magical-fantasy, retelling, read-2020, young-adult

This was such a magical delight! It's the kind of book you settle down with and just end up smiling to yourself, turning pages fast, and enjoying the angst and the cleverness of the fairy tales. It's SUCH a fun premise. Every prince gets a fairy tale and it's up to the librarian to make sure it goes "right". Only the librarian can read the fairy tale. So basically we have Felicity, spending the whole book running interferences and forcibly dragging the fairy tales back on track because can no one do what they're supposed to!!!

Felicity spent the whole book so so stressed. 😌 I absolutely adore Felicity. She seriously was the light of this whole book; doggedly loyal, clever comeback quips, she loved books but also adored her friends, someone said they loved her and she was like "TAKE IT BACK OR I'LL BEAT YOU WITH A SWORD." She just had so much heart! I am here to stan the stressed librarian.

The featured fairy tale that Felicity has to keep on track is Cinderella, and omg the twists were so clever! I loved seeing how Felicity manoeuvred it into going right. And literally everything still goes wrong 😂 Cinderella was super lovely, and Alex (the prince charming) was so nice...they were also both very in love with the wrong people. Also the hint that the next book will be Jack And The Beanstalk?! I want it SO BAD.

And the writing? Can I just say I thoroughly enjoyed the writing. It felt easy to read, but also fun and heartfelt and just so tight and polished. It was all very fairy-tale-esque, so the world building wasn't mega complex, which tbh suited my tired brain just fine. I'd definitely say if you like A Curse So Dark and Lonely, you'd love this!

Magic By Midnight is such a fun story of stressed librarians, fairy tales going wrong, and monsters slithering out of the dark. It absolutely had it all: epic female friendships, angsty romance, girls with swords and books, heartache and sacrifice, and the softest and most loyal array of characters to make your heart warm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic by Midnight.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Allison S. Bass
“You should be grateful, too. You always wanted a grand adventure. Well, there's nothing quite like orchestrating a fairy tale that impacts the destiny of this kingdom.”

Allison S. Bass
“That's the thing about forgiveness; no one deserves it, but we give it anyway.”

Allison S. Bass
“Love is more than an emotion. Love is an endeavor we pursue all our lives.”

April 14, 2020 – Started Reading
April 14, 2020 – Shelved
April 15, 2020 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
April 15, 2020 – Shelved as: retelling
April 15, 2020 – Shelved as: read-2020
April 15, 2020 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 15, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda this sounds amazing!!