Hayley (Backpacking Bookworm)'s Reviews > The Tribulations of August Barton

The Tribulations of August Barton by Jennifer      LeBlanc

This was a sweet and quirky coming-of-age story about an anxious boy trying to juggle college life, a girl he's head over heels for, and a wacky grandma that keeps escaping from her care home.

I really enjoyed this story and found it a quick, light read. Augie is a really likable character who you just want to take under your wing and look out for. I loved seeing him develop from a socially anxious odd-one-out to a confident student and lover who pushes himself out of his comfort zone. The antics with his ex-prostitute grandma were great and added a comical layer to the story. She also played a huge part in his character growth which was really endearing.

Although this is a light story, there are underlying tones of mental health (anxiety and panic attacks), broken homes, and drug use. The author was sensitive towards these themes and integrated them brilliantly. You can tell that some of the events are based on her personal experiences which balanced out realism with some of the more quirky incidents (such as Augie's naked run around the hospice).

I'm looking forward to reading the next book in this series! Thanks so much to Jennifer LeBlanc and The Uncorked Librarian for providing me with a copy of this book for The Uncorked Challenge 2020. I was not asked to review the book but have chosen to do so. I'm a huge supporter of indie authors and would like so give them the credit they deserve.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tribulations of August Barton.

April 13, 2020 – Started Reading
April 13, 2020 – Shelved
April 16, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine I’m so glad you enjoyed the book, and thanks for leaving Jennifer a review. I have this one in my queue so I’m looking forward to reading it, especially after your review. Yay, indie April!!

Hayley (Backpacking Bookworm) I think you'll like this one, it's a nice, fun read, and perfect for quarantine!