Ethan Hirtle's Reviews > A Raisin in the Sun

A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry

May 11, 2012

it was ok

A Raisin in the Sun is an okay book, however I refute the idea that the hardships of pursuing the American dream is limited to African Americans only. Every immigrant group who has come to this country has struggled to attain their dreams be it Jews,Blacks,and the Irish. The novels subjeict of the hardships of the lowerclass is indeed true but the writting could be stronger it feels as if every black novel we read all the characters if are carictures of black face whites. I agree with the principal message however but this constant limitation of blaming problems on race only creates more racisim because it pits one race agaisnt the others.

The style was fine ,although I do maintain that it is the weak point of the entire play, all of this thick dialect is weary on thy mind. The setting was well done and intresting(a fascinating time for the US and blacks), In conclusion the sentiments of the play regarding the lower class i true but we must fight for all human rights not jsut the rights of blacks how can we expect progress with such a limited spectrum.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Raisin in the Sun.