Alanna's Reviews > Magic for Beginners

May 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: short-stories, magical-realism
Read from October 27 to November 11, 2012

I was really excited to find this book at my local library after reading "Catskin" in the fairy tale anthology, My Mother She Killed Me My Father He Ate Me, but I was fairly disappointed by what I found here. The stories are kind of all the same -- plodding character studies with twist endings -- but some are executed better than others. There are some great moments interspersed, but unfortunately Link doesn't follow through with them (or isn't sure how to).

I'd recommend "The Faery Handbag," "Magic for Beginners," and of course "Catskin," and forget the rest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic for Beginners.

10/27/2012 page 20
6.0% ""Remember, when you don't know what to do, it never hurts to play Scrabble. It's like reading the I Ching or tea leaves.""
10/31/2012 page 162
54.0% "Art was why Soap was in prison. This sounded romantic, but really, it was just stupid."
11/10/2012 page 212
71.0% "Talis is in the kitchen, making a Velveeta-and-pickle sandwich.... There is something dreamlike about the way that she makes a sandwich. As if she is really making something that isn't a sandwich at all; as if she's making something far more meaningful and mysterious. Or as if soon he will wake up and realize that there are so such thing as sandwiches."
11/11/2012 page 272
91.0% "But the Devil stood up and took the cheerleader's hand and pulled her backwards-forwards."