Uche's Reviews > The Sittaford Mystery

The Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie

I've read enough books that I should have been able to figure out the murderer. But I'm glad I switched off my brain a little and enjoyed the suprise when it came. My favourite thing about this book - like most Agatha Christie books I adore - wasn't themystery, though. It was the characters. Or more specifically the character if Emily Trefusis who is now second only to Anne Beddingford of the Man in the Brown Suit fame, as my favourite Agatha Christie hero.

"Oh! my God," said Jim Pearson. "Can nobody help me?"

At that moment the door opened and a young woman waltzed into the room.

This is the best introduction ever. There is a pretense of a live triangle in this book, with even the local audience speculating on who Emily chooses - Jim, her fiancee who she saves from wrongful murder charges and possible hanging - or Charles, her partner-in-sleuthdom. I suppose Charles is the better man; the one that can be depended upon. But as I mentioned, Emily is the hero. She doesn't need - want rescuing. She wants to be the one doing the rescuing. Her character would have been a bit too flapper for liking, and her choice at the end almost incredulous, if she had gone about the matter with total savoir-flair. But the two times she broke down into tears really showed that despite her outward confidence, she did love Jim deeply and this wasn't some intellectual adventure for her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sittaford Mystery.