Isamlq's Reviews > In Honor

May 10, 2012

liked it
Read from May 10 to 12, 2012

3.5/5

I liked the combination of the knowing and the not knowing as well as the sweet and the sad in this one. It’s put me in the right mood enough so that I cannot even find it in myself to roll my eyes when things were highly improbable, slightly too convenient, and sometimes too new agey/hokey. See, if one were to combine a pair of people who truly had a history with each other WITH the fact that these people actually knew little of each other and the truths they carried… Well, color me curious.

It was the road trip plus sibling loyalty and the dealing with a thereafter that had me curious. It struck close to Saving June. Though Saving June, this was not. The pair involved are both sweet and sexy and assume so much of the other. It’s the latter combined with both of them keeping so many things in, that leads to so many encounters that were sometimes tense, sometimes explosive, and sometimes, yes… sexy.

It’s that they assumed to know so much about the other that had them less likely to open up about certain things BUT it’s also that same thing that had them willing to be vulnerable in other areas. I liked the contrary way they were with each other. Familiar then not familiar… comforted with how right some things felt; then surprised by how different the other could be. It was a sweet thing to see, but also sometimes frustrating:

The girl, for you see, she truly is a girl in the young sense could be so set in what she thought the other had done wrong but also blind to what really was. Through out the book, she paints a picture of her brother Finn that’s so good and so solid. At times, I found myself saying he was too good to be true. Yet, it’s her telling stories of him and Rusty that made the guy a little bit more real; a solid guy, a really great brother. So whatever was going through her head when she decided on doing what she did seemed more plausible if not over the top and theatrical. That whole going on a road trip to do that one last thing for her brother, read likely with grief and loss that mixes people up in what’s rational and irrational. Then of course is Rusty. It’s the closed off way that had me wondering and waiting… but his easy confidence and presence already had me aware that there was more to him than what Honor thought, even when the guy could be so purposefully annoying.

Yet, between their starting point to that end, there’s this slow change… in both. She opens her eyes, no, has her eyes opened. And he softens a little. It’s a sweet story… and even with an ending that almost had me changing my mind.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Honor.