Shelly's Reviews > South of Bixby Bridge

South of Bixby Bridge by Ryan Winfield

May 10, 2012

Read from May 10 to 13, 2012

My review was originally posted on my blog {Dive} Under The Cover

I should start this by saying that it was kind of a fluke that I stumbled upon this book. I saw a Facebook ad that was a kindle daily deal, one of those "if you liked Fifty Shades of Grey, you will like this book". I clicked through it and ended up buying the book on Amazon after I read some reviews on Goodreads. I will also say that I am fairly shallow and when I saw Ryan Winfield's profile image on Goodreads I decided that I would read anything he wrote if that was really him in the picture!! Hey, I said I was shallow! Turns out, I was right so it all paid off in the end.

I will also say that this book really shouldn't be compared to Fifty Shades. The only similarities are that one of the characters happens to be very wealthy and the character of Paul is controlling, but it a way very dissimilar to Christian. That said, without the recommendation I probably wouldn't have read this book and I am very glad that I did.

Trevor is one of those guys that you can't help but like even though he is incredibly frustrating. He is written in a way that you just can't help but feel for everything he is going through. He is struggling with pretty severe addiction. The story opens with him being released from a 28 day stay in a treatment facility. The events that landed him there are told in a flashback style. It seems that he had hit bottom and has nowhere to go but up, but Trevor isn't totally convinced that he is an addict.

He's a smart guy who had great potential, he ended up in the financial world making lots of money. He had a house, his girlfriend was living with him while she finished school. He was pulled into the world of excess and ended up tanking when his addiction took over to the point that he was selling everything he had to get more booze, cocaine, pills, etc... He had lost his job, his girlfriend left him because he didn't want to face his addiction, he overdosed and ended up in treatment.

Now he is out of rehab. He is literally on his own, with his car and what little he has in the bag he is carrying. He has nowhere to go, no money, no prospects really. He goes from the lowest low to the highest high in the space of less than 2 weeks when he meets Paul. Paul hires him to work for his company, lets him live on his yacht, gives him access to money, clubs, his beautiful wife and Paul essentially leads him right back into the life he lived before. Trevor was able to stay sober for a couple of weeks, but Paul is controlling enough and Trevor is still not admitting that he is an addict. It's just so easy for Paul to pull him back in with a glass of expensive wine.

Trevor is selling his soul for the power that he wants and he goes along with it for a little while, but you always get this sense that he is balking a bit. He knows that what he is doing isn't right and he wants to change he just hasn't reached that point quite yet. Reading Trevor's story is a bit like a car crash, you don't want to look because you know you won't be able to forget what you saw, but you just can't help it. (view spoiler)

This book is so beautifully written! This is the first book by a first time author that I have enjoyed this much. I was a little thrown off by the lack of quotation marks in the dialogue, but it didn't take me long to adjust to it. I also agree with other readers that it was perfect for this story. I think it fit Trevor and it fit the overall tone of the story. It moved the story along faster for sure. Ryan Winfield has taken the readers on a very emotional journey. Even if you have no experience with addiction you will be emotionally caught up with Trevor as he faces these issues. It's a bit of a roller coaster ride and it seems somewhat unbelievable, but I think that's what makes it so good. It's a life that most of us will never experience, but we can certainly feel for Trevor and that's what makes the story so compelling.

As far as content is concerned there is a fair amount of profanity, it's not overused though. There is drug use and some sexual content. I don't agree with some other readers that it was too explicit though, it wasn't racy either. If anything it was more clinical in it's description, especially for those readers that enjoyed the Fifty Shades series. It was written as more of a bodily function as opposed to something done for pleasure, if that makes any sense!

I definitely recommend this book and it's one that I would read again for sure. I am (not so) patiently awaiting the release of Ryan Winfield's next book!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read South of Bixby Bridge.

05/11/2012
5.0% "The story is promising, but I am wondering about the lack of quotations in the dialogue...I am sure I will get used to it, but right now it's a little distracting."
show 1 hidden update…

Nikki Beaudreau What a perfect review!!

Renee great review I bought it

message 3: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Haha, I clicked the same link on FB! I'm so glad I did though, because while it was NOTHING like the ”50 Shades” novels, I loved it for that very reason.

The whole, absence of quotation marks threw me at first a well, but after the first few pages I didn't even notice it anymore.

Renee Nicole wrote: "Haha, I clicked the same link on FB! I'm so glad I did though, because while it was NOTHING like the ”50 Shades” novels, I loved it for that very reason.

The whole, absence of quotation marks thr..."

I agree I missed quotes too and I didnt think it was anything like 50 shades. There were very intense parts and the drugs scared me but it WOWed me for sure

Linette I agree...nothing like 50....put off reading it for a while Bc of that recommendation! It was sad and dark and scary....but interesting and made you care about the story. 50 was silly lol

Ginger I just clicked on that same link too..just now. It brought me here to see if it's worth reading. I guess it is!