S.V. Filice's Reviews > Thorunn

Thorunn by Esther T.  Jones

I genuinely enjoyed Thorunn and fell in love with each characters! The world Jones’ produced is absolutely brilliant! I didn’t know what to expect when I picked up this book and I’m always anxious when I start reading a new genre, especially if it in not a style I am familiar. However, this book converted me into a sci-fi fan. Seriously, sit back and let Esther steer the vercycle!

Laine and his family relocate to Thorunn, a planet where Laine can receive a fresh start. Having gotten into trouble while on Earth, Laine is determined to make his loving mother proud and to be a good student, friend, and son. Though with the terrorist attacks and the mention of the mysterious cabal, Laine finds himself roped into issues too large for a teen to navigate. Against his uncle, he teams up with an acquaintance, Bo — who is part of the Lokian race that human’s try little to accept, and the two set out to save their friend, uncovering many secrets on the way. We discover how deep the politics of Thorunn are buried, and if Laine can truly receive the fresh start he desperately wanted.

Jones creates a futuristic world on the planet of Thorunn, and does it well. I love how each new detail is wrapped in it’s element. No definitions needed, the gadgets/creatures/locations are all incorporated seamlessly and naturally. Though, Jones does include a glossary and a map to help you navigate. Through the use of the clip you learn the features the small gadget has — a futuristic combination of a cellphone and an embedded microchip that is engrained in everyday life. The technology (like most) is both helpful and destructive to Laine’s quest. Some other unique technologies Jones created are the: sol, quirn, nano-diffuser, vercycle, and so many more. Aside from the cool gadgets, each new encounter with a wild creature, like the Anlos, Vana’byss, Vyss’ngryr and the “Chsaa-rhee (Rheas Maximus) — Giant pterodactyl-like animals” is enough to send you page flipping. The excitement of the world truly leads an adventure. Jones thought of everything!

The perfect mixture of the familiar on a planet we haven’t seen. The humanity is obvious, even in the Lokian. Each relationship is tested. Laine’s family searches for routine and finds themselves struck with the hardships of health and politics, friendships are pushed when tension is high, and trust isn’t as easily given.

Jones’ characters are painted vividly. The adolescent age is shown in jargon, using dialogue to build credibility as Laine learns what it means to become a responsible and honourable adult. Jones provides detail to voice with each whisper, new accent, jargon, and character knowledge.

YES, I cried. I felt the heartbreak for the character’s I grew attached to. I felt the change in Kenton. Kenton’s character arc develops gradually, corresponding to the speed in which he slowly develops and begins to adapt to the ways of the Hexagon. Laine struggles to maintain his anger and quick tongue, making it hard for him to earn the respect he demands. Bo is forced to balance his pride and learn to accept those who have shown his kind wrong. Jones leads us through each frame with a sense of hope, and when hope seems far, you can’t help but believe in Laine, Bo, and Kenton. From start to finish, I wanted to know more.

When I started reading, I immediately thought, “This is a writer I can learn from.” And I finished with content knowing that I took away more from reading Thorunn than just entertainment. I recommend this book to those who have a love for world building, appreciation for sci-fi, and a soft spot for misunderstood teenagers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thorunn.

April 12, 2020 – Started Reading