Julie 's Reviews > Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family

Hidden Valley Road by Robert Kolker

bookshelves: 2021, non-fiction, doubleday, biography, e-book

Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family by Robert Kolker is a 2020 Doubleday publication.

This is a hard review to write.

I knew going in the book was bound to be a difficult read, but I had no idea how emotionally draining it would become. I also didn’t realize, until I finally sat down to write this review, how conflicted I would still feel about it…

Don and Mimi Galvin started their family in the mid-forties and continued having children, despite doctor’s orders, until the mid-sixties, eventually adding a total of twelve children to their family. While the size of their family raised eyebrows, they seemed well adjusted- at least on the surface. But, behind closed doors the family was trying to internally cope with an epidemic of mental illness.

Meanwhile, those children who were not afflicted, were left to their own devices, emotionally neglected, and were at times victims of horrific abuse inflicted on them by their mentally ill siblings.

The author alternates the developments in the Galvin family with facts about Schizophrenia and mental illness, the way psychiatry approached it, the medical treatments, genetics and environmental connections through the years. I was amazed by the attitudes about mental illness and the effects of the drugs prescribed to help control the disease, with the side effects greatly reducing the quality of life and leading to an early death at times. I just can’t imagine!

While I agree that the author took a very measured and delicate approach with the family, I still picked up on a distinct narrowing of blame, despite all efforts to avoid it. I think that even now, with all the various avenues of support available, with the push to destigmatize mental illness, there is still a feeling of shame attached to it for many people of a certain era.

In the seventies, mental illness was often handled privately in families, or labeled as some other type of illness, because no one wanted to admit, sometimes not even to themselves, what the true nature of an illness might be. I’m not making excuses for anyone, but some will want to judge this family by today’s standards, which is not entirely fair.

I had to wonder if Mimi also suffered from a form of mental illness herself, or if her ‘magical thinking’, acting as though everything was normal, was a coping mechanism for someone who has lost control of her life, who is watching her children suffer greatly, and is helpless to prevent it. Perhaps her actions were an attempt to hold herself together- because what would happen if she collapsed under the strain?

The only good thing that has come from this terribly painful situation is that the family DNA has been beneficial in the study of this very difficult disease, opening up avenues in understanding genetics, treatment, or maybe even prevention- which gives the reader much needed hope after watching a family endure such incredible pain for so long.

This is an agonizing book to sink oneself into. My heart went out this family. My feelings are all over the place, though. I’m pained by some of the judgments passed, while also understanding why one might feel that way about the Galvin’s. Although, I have to admit, if I had been in Mimi’s shoes, I would have been completely overwhelmed. It sounds unbearable.

I once knew a couple who had four children- one of which has beaten cancer. While the child was in treatment, I could see how hard it was to divide the ratio of time between the sick child and the healthy children. I see that it’s not fair, but I also saw a support system in place, there were people around to pick up the slack, to talk to, to provide counseling, although it’s rarely enough.

I didn’t see that Mimi had much of this kind of support. In fact, she once admitted she had no one to talk to, and frankly her children’s lives were obviously at risk too, as it was so shockingly made clear.

My point being that apparently people are still judging mental illness in a different way, and Mimi wasn't given the help and support she might have if her children had been physically handicapped or ill.

At the same time, Mimi's response to her daughter’s revelations was almost too appalling for me to digest. My brain is still on overload, and I remain very torn on how to feel about this book. I really can’t see how anyone could have a pat answer, though.

It’s a painful story to read, incredible on so many levels, but also one that is compelling, and informative. I’m glad I read the book because it has awakened a desire to learn more about severe mental illness and to better understand the needs of families living with this disease.

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Valley Road.

April 12, 2020 – Shelved
January 5, 2021 – Shelved as: doubleday
March 9, 2021 – Shelved as: biography
March 9, 2021 – Shelved as: e-book
March 9, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)

Kat (Books are Comfort Food!) Great review, Julie! I applaud your efforts to delve into such a complex read and subject matter. 💕💕

Julie Kat (Books are Comfort Food!) wrote: "Great review, Julie! I applaud your efforts to delve into such a complex read and subject matter. 💕💕"
Thanks so much, dear Kat!! It was a hard book to read, but I very enlightening too. 💖

message 3: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Superb review, Julie. I'm very interested in reading this one. It seems like a good companion to the fiction piece I recently finished.

Julie Candi wrote: "Superb review, Julie. I'm very interested in reading this one. It seems like a good companion to the fiction piece I recently finished."

Thanks so much, Candi!! I would really like to get your take on this one! 💖

message 5: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Wow, sounds like a difficult read Julie, but wonderful review 🌸💕

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard Brilliant review Julie .......... this sounds like a troubling, thought provoking and compelling read!

message 7: by Swaroop (new)

Swaroop Julie,
Indeed, a wonderful review - thank you!

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Awesome review Julie!

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Wonderful review Julie!

Debra (having surgery will be back in a few days) Fantastic review, Julie! This does sound like a painful read.

Tamar...light at the end of the tunnel? A sensitive and thoughtful review, Julie💕

Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Excellent review, Julie!

Julie Maureen wrote: "Wow, sounds like a difficult read Julie, but wonderful review 🌸💕"

Thanks so much, Maureen!! 💖

Julie Richard wrote: "Brilliant review Julie .......... this sounds like a troubling, thought provoking and compelling read!"

Thanks so much, Richard! Yes, it was all of those things. Hard to believe this was a true story!! 😊

Julie Swaroop wrote: "Julie,
Indeed, a wonderful review - thank you!"

Many thanks, Swaroop! 😊

Julie Karen wrote: "Awesome review Julie!"

Thank you very much, Karen!! 💖

Julie Holly wrote: "Wonderful review Julie!"

Thanks so much, Holly!! 💖

Julie Debra wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! This does sound like a painful read."

Thanks so much, Debra!! It was unbelievable! 💖

Julie Tamar overwhelmed by work, but forging on.... wrote: "A sensitive and thoughtful review, Julie💕"

Many thanks, dear Tamar!! 💖

Julie Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you very much, Brenda!! 💖

message 21: by Supratim (new)

Supratim Wonderful review, Julie! :)

message 22: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Excellent review Julie!💜

Julie Supratim wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! :)"

Many thanks, Supratim!! 😊

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Excellent review Julie!💜"

Thanks so much, Kaceey!! 💖

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy Wow, 6 of them diagnosed with schizophrenia? That's so sad. Great review, Julie. Difficult subject matter, for sure.

Julie Amy wrote: "Wow, 6 of them diagnosed with schizophrenia? That's so sad. Great review, Julie. Difficult subject matter, for sure."

Thanks so much, Amy!! Hard to believe! The entire family suffered terribly. Very sad. 💖

message 27: by Yun (new)

Yun Stellar review, Julie! Wow, this sounds like a tough book to read. It's a shame how terribly the family suffered, including those kids who never got the support and treatment they needed. So sad to hear about this.

Julie Yun wrote: "Stellar review, Julie! Wow, this sounds like a tough book to read. It's a shame how terribly the family suffered, including those kids who never got the support and treatment they needed. So sad to..."

Thanks so much, Yun!! It was a shocking case! I'm glad we are more open about mental illness now- but we still have work to do. 💖

message 29: by Fred (new) - added it

Fred Great review. Looks popular & added as a to-read

Julie Fred wrote: "Great review. Looks popular & added as a to-read"

Many thanks, Fred!! It's an incredible story!

message 31: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Grice Conflicted and beautiful review, Julie!

Julie J.K. wrote: "Conflicted and beautiful review, Julie!"

Thanks so much, J.K.! It was a disturbing story- just incredible! 😊

message 33: by PorshaJo (new) - added it

PorshaJo Great review Julie!

Julie PorshaJo wrote: "Great review Julie!"

Thank you very much, PorshaJo!! 💖

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) It's an amazing but terrifying story. Wonderful review, Julie!

Julie Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) wrote: "It's an amazing but terrifying story. Wonderful review, Julie!"

Thanks so much, Marialyce!! Yes, it was- just heartbreaking! 💖

message 37: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Great review, Julie. I go back and forth on whether I have the head space to tackle this book or not. I'm going to add it for now and see.

Julie Chrissie wrote: "Great review, Julie. I go back and forth on whether I have the head space to tackle this book or not. I'm going to add it for now and see."

Thanks so much, Chrissie!! It is a lot and hard to absorb it all. I am glad I read it though- I'd love to get your thoughts on it. 💖

message 39: by Terrie (new)

Terrie Robinson Julie - what a beautifully compassionate and heartfelt review. I had this one on hold through Libby but when it finally popped up, became mine, I declined it. I couldn’t do it. I respect your choice to read and review this one. Something I couldn’t do! Maybe someday. Maybe never.

Julie Terrie wrote: "Julie - what a beautifully compassionate and heartfelt review. I had this one on hold through Libby but when it finally popped up, became mine, I declined it. I couldn’t do it. I respect your choic..."

Thanks so much, Terrie! It was one of the hardest books I've read in a long time. So heartbreaking. 😢