Fazila 's Reviews > Losing Jon: A Teen's Tragic Death, a Police Cover-Up, a Community's Fight for Justice

Losing Jon by David  Parrish

liked it

TWITTER INSTAGRAM

Check out the full review on my website. CLICK HERE

REVIEW :

DISCLAIMER : Thank you Netgalley and Kensington Books for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

David Parrish's Losing Jon is a harrowing account of a teenager's death following a night of partying under suspicious circumstances. The whole book is written to bring out the police brutality in Howard county and the steps the police, FBI, and other officials took to cover up the crime. The book was engaging and gripping in its storytelling. I was interested in finding out what had happened to Jon Bowie and hoped to God the murderer/murderers were caught. The book takes us through Jon and Mickey's lives as they navigate their school and college. Jon and Mickey were twins and they were one night partying at a motel with 12 other friends when police came knocking on their door. Everything that happened from there is quite surreal, almost movie-like but sadly true. The accounts from the witnesses and fellow students all report that excessive force was used on the students by the police. Later the kids were harassed and followed and stalked by the police. And one night the body of Jon was seen by a jogger hanging from the baseball backstop. The whole incident is horrific and on top of that, the way the police and FBI behaved towards the victims was simply disturbing and cruel. They were intentionally framing the kids and also trying to make it seem like Jon committed suicide and not handling the proper investigation to solve the crime. The blase way the whole case was handled and the other incidents surrounding it are all one big mess of incompetency on the legal system as well. I was hooked from the beginning and the more I read the more I was drawn to the case. I felt bad for the family, friends, and victims. I was frustrated and angry and emotional through the book. I thought the book was going to be a solid 5-stars book for me and it was going to be giving us the answers to the case and how it got resolved. Let's just say that didn't happen and I was highly disappointed by it. The book ended abruptly and we don't get to see or find out how Jon Bowie dies. There are no answers to some of the questions that were frequently asked throughout the book, and adding to the confusion we have psychics and their prediction muddying everything. I am confused and disappointed by the way the case was closed and on top of that, we do not get answers to the important points made in the book. I wish the author addressed them and help resolve the issues. The book simply leaves readers with the family moving on with their lives because Jon appeared to them and told them to let it go. After all of the struggle and pain and hard work, it just seems like we are left in the dark with more questions than answers. I don't believe justice was served to the families involved, the case got closed without proper investigations, and there are too many people whose roles feels undefined in the entire case. I gave the book 3.5 stars and it would have been a 5 star read if not for the way the book ended. I sincerely hope the family got their answers and they are at peace. I can't imagine the pain and turmoil the family must have been in following Jon's untimely death. I pray the wrongdoers were all brought to justice and they answered for their failures to provide the closure for the family. I believe this is an important story and everyone should read this book to be aware of the brutality and possible cover-up of crimes committed by the police and other systems.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing Jon.

April 12, 2020 – Started Reading