Tanara McCauley's Reviews > The Elusive Pimpernel

The Elusive Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy

Who doesn't love Sir Percy? Noble, strong, self-sacrificing, and madly in love with his woman. He's a hero I would gladly read about again and again...and again. In this tale he willingly walks into a trap set by that weasel of a man Chauvelin, not knowing that the lives of his wife Marguerite and the townspeople are at risk. Orczy did a phenomenal job of creating a predicament so hard to get out of, I began to doubt the Blakeney's chances for success. Though it's unpopular for heroes to die in their own stories, it's certainly not unheard of. The death of Carton in A Tale of Two Cities was the most hurtful yet the most powerful, beautiful part of that story. If Sir Percy had died in so noble a fashion it would not have been a waste. That Orczy kept me guessing until the end made reading this book an adventure; not to mention the emotional straightjacket I was confined to until I knew the outcome. Equally enthralling is Orczy's firm establishment of the setting. After every Pimpernel story I find myself fighting the urge to exclaim "egad" and "odd's fish" at appropriate intervals. It's certainly worth a read, then a spot on the bookshelf (or in your virtual library) to be read again in the future when the details become hazy, or simply when the absence of the Blakeneys makes you long for their return like long missed friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elusive Pimpernel.

Started Reading