Lisa's Reviews > The Dewey Decimal System of Love

The Dewey Decimal System of Love by Josephine Carr

did not like it

** spoiler alert ** If it is possible to recommend the "worst book ever" to anyone, this would be the one.

The plot is about a 40 year old librarian who also happens to be a pseudo virgin (she hasn't had sex in 15 years and in case you forget that major "plot" point, she will keep telling you over and over again), who finds herself "falling in love" with the new maestro of the local orchastra and the hilarity that "ensues" as she discovers "herself." Throw in breast feeding (said "virgin" to her godson in order to "bond" with him - say what?), a convoluted romance (Oh! My! God! I've been in love with my boss for the last 15 YEARS and never even figured it out!), the maestro's jealous wife who may or may not be writing a mystery or planning to kill her husband, her "sex on legs" doctor mother, and all this other ridiculousness and you've got "Dewey Decimal System of Love."

There is no depth to the characters, there is way too much going on (sub-sub plot of one of her co-workers who is also "in love" with the boss, who then writes him a letter and the boss then writes "back" and tells to perhaps to think about "lesbianism" -- I mean, if he actually DID write the letter, why would our heroine want to be with someone who is so callous in a brush-off to a suitor he is not interested in?)/.And all this convoluted mess with her father (no one is as good a daddy!), there is soo much going on and nothing is wrapped up that I literally wanted to throw the book against the wall when finished. Poorly written, poorly executed, and severely poorly edited. It is written by someone who shows no concept of character development (the best friend is a lawyer and is quizzed about why she owns a cell phone-- this is the '00s for Pete's sake, and who the heck DOESN'T have a cell phone these days? Especially when said best friend is a high powered lawyer!) THe author relies on stereotypes to define her characters and the whole book just stank of poor development and execution. It felt like and read like a 7th grader writing their first romance, not of a "seasoned" writer. Stay the heck away from this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dewey Decimal System of Love.

Started Reading