Randy's Reviews > Counterfeit Gods: The Empty Promises of Money, Sex, and Power, and the Only Hope that Matters

Counterfeit Gods by Timothy J. Keller

M 50x66
May 10, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

Good book on remembering what comes first in your life. It covers a wide range of things that can replace the preeminent place of God. Reminded me of those areas where I derive my significance and worth and contrasts it with God's complete love, complete grace and his desire for me to know Him well enough to keep putting him first. Relationships, politics, status and the other forms of pride (though I don't think he ever uses that word) replace my desire to live a life pleasing and honoring to God.
He doesn't point out only what we are not, Keller gives some help in identifying the idols in our lives five ways: 1) by looking at our imagination and determining what occupies our free thoughts most of the time; 2) knowing where we spend our money; 3) discussing 'functional salvation' and by that he means stating what your god is…; 4)Look at your uncontrollable emotions - another new approach for me - where do my emotions often take me.
All in all I am glad I read a work by Keller. He makes some good points. Not the most compelling book I have read lately.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Counterfeit Gods.