Edward Erdelac's Reviews > Flashman and the Tiger

Flashman and the Tiger by George MacDonald Fraser

4172054
May 09, 2012

Read from May 12 to 31, 2012

I picked this one up specifically for the titular Zulu Wars/Sherlock Holmes crossover story after having read the first Flashman.

I was blown away. I love history and I love the idea of fictional (or fictionalized) minor characters moving behind the scenes of greater recorded events and affecting them somehow.

SPOILERS

This was even better as it took the actual events of Isandlwanda (sp?) and Roark's Drift, injected the minor Holmesian villain Tiger Jack Moran, ADDED Flashman to that, RETCONNED Tiger Jack as a minor character in a previous Flashman story (Flash For Freedom!), AND THEN had Flashy and Tiger having it out around the events of the celebrated Holmes story Adventure Of The Empty House.

The eventual 'meeting' of Holmes, Watson and a disguised Flashman is hilarious, with Holmes blowing every deduction and talking OVER Watson, even as the good Doctor for once gets everything right.

END SPOILERS

I'll have to amend the review when I go back and read the other stories, but I like being able to pick up Flashman at any point in his history and not be lost.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flashman and the Tiger.