Jay Daze's Reviews > The Iron Duke

The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook

May 09, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: ebook, fantasy, female-author, i-had-a-rant-attack, vaginal-fantasy, wtf-moments
Read from May 09 to 19, 2012

An admirble steampunk world (goggles = steampunk), so-so characters, and slowwww pacing made this a pretty mediocre book for me. The Horde, zombies, and an alternate Victorian England was really cool. Lots of balloon like air-travel, zeppelins? dirigibles? The titular Iron Duke was a let down, an creepy alpha male with a past, the dipping into his p.o.v. seemed to be an apology for him wanting to force Mina (the main character) into a relationship. Really just sexual assault, but wanting to tone it down, just slightly.... so it was sexy?

I am probably not a series reader, yet I'm continually trying out series!!! The plot was dolled out very very slooowwwly because the author wants this to last for god knows how many books. I suspect if in a happy alternate universe where series only happen for good reasons, this book took the plot from the next three or four books and crammed it into one book - it would be awesome!!!! But we are not in that universe sadly and so boring events that seem to only advance the plot slightly are stretch out and snap my patience. Seriously, with characters as questionable and wonky as this if you had a snapping plot that just went went went, I wouldn't notice and would be entertained. Too often telling an interesting story is sacrificed in the interests of making a short novel into a fucking boring series that just lasts forever!!! (rant off)

So thanks to the women of the Vaginal Fantasy Hangout for doing this book, but I really need to avoid series because they apparently piss me off and make me use far too many exclamation points.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Duke.

05/11/2012
19.0% "Nice world building - feeling a bit detached from it so far, going slow."