Peter's Reviews > The Apple Pie That Papa Baked

The Apple Pie That Papa Baked by Lauren Thompson

May 09, 2012

bookshelves: children

When I was in first grade, (forty years ago!), I would borrow a Virginia Lee Burton book, Life Story, from my school library so often that the librarian gave me the book at the end of the school year. I still have that book.

So when my son and I were at our local library recently, this book immediately caught my eye. I at first thought it was a Virginia Lee Burton book that I had not heard of. Reading the blurb about the illustrator Jonathan Bean, I was not surprised to find that he was influenced by Burton, as well as by Wanda Gag.

I don't mean to say that the art is at all derivative. Not at all. Once I actually picked it up I saw that it has a style all its own. Three color illustrations, with the look of woodcuts, with a story that conveys the warmth of spending a a rural fall day with a parent. How is it possible that black, brown, and red, can be combined like this in such a way that it can make me cry at the end of the story ?

( I had to knock it down by one star since I like it a lot more than my son does!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Apple Pie That Papa Baked.