wout's Reviews > Goed volk

Goed volk by Teun van de Keuken

bookshelves: ebook, dutch, memoir, history, social

Knowing more about a person's upbringing helps you better understand their personalities and traits. As an avid watcher of the programs that the author presents on Dutch television; 'Keuringsdienst van Waarde' and 'De monitor', I would like to know more about the presenter's personal views. in the former program the goal is mostly to discover the truth behind all the promises that the food packages make, while in the latter, a more broader and idealistic goal is pursued, with the help of the stories from everyday people that write in. All in all, I was surprised at how well it was written, from a linguistic perspective, which makes sense knowing that he read a lot when he grew up, you pick up on a thing or two while you do so, I like to believe. The main topic of the book was the relationship with his ambitious and artistic father, which differs hugely from my own upbringing, as are the time and place of course. I found it to be a worthwhile read, with plenty of funny and recognizable examples. The only thing that was missing for me, was a bridge between his early past at primary school and how this affected his bond with his dad. For example, when he became a father himself and how this might have changed his relationship with his own dad. I doubt there will be a sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goed volk.

April 8, 2020 – Started Reading