Kait's Reviews > Slammed

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

May 09, 2012

bookshelves: best-of-the-best, so-many-tears, signed, girl-crush, book-boyfriends, books-i-own

This deserves at least double the five stars.

Full review to come when I'm not such an emotional
mess at one a.m.

I'm not quite done being a mess, but I need to write this review.

This is exactly the kind of book that makes me so glad I finally gave into e-books and self published authors.

"Your heart says not again
What kind of mess have you got me in?
But when the feeling's there
It can lift you up and take you anywhere."

Slammed was breathtaking, heartbreaking, & uplifting[I could go on & on]. I instantly fell in love with Layken. I love her name, her love for her little brother, and her strength. She's everything I look for in a female lead.

Will is amazing. Is there anything sexier than a man willing to sacrifice for his family? No, there's not. I fell for him as fast as Lake did.

The boys were adorable. Eddie was pretty damn special, I was hoping for more from her.

(view spoiler)

One of my favorite parts of this book was the slamming. I've been to a couple poetry slams, but I've always been to chicken to read my own poems. I think I might just have to give it another try. My fingers are itching to write something new.

Also, I found a new amazing band. The Avett Brothers, who I'm currently listening to as I type this.

A million thanks to Colleen Hoover for writing something that truly inspired me, in quite a few ways.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

Quotes Kait Liked

Colleen Hoover
“I got schooled this year
a
boy

A boy that I'm seriously, deeply, madly, incredibly, and undeniably in love with.
And he taught me the most important thing of all...

To put the emphasis
On life .”
Colleen Hoover, Slammed

Colleen Hoover
“Sometimes life gets in your way.
it gets all up in your damn way.
But it doesn't get all up in your damn way
because it wants you to just give up and let it take control.
Life doesn't get all up in your damn way because it just wants you to hand it all over and be carried along.

Life wants you to fight it
Learn how to make it your own.
it wants you to grab and axe and hack through the wood.
It wants you to get a sledgehammer and break through concrete.
It wants you to grab a torch and burn through the metal and steel until you can reach through and grab it.

Life wants you to grab all the organized, the alphabetized, the chronological, the sequenced. It wants you to mix it all together,
stir it up,
blend it.”
Colleen Hoover, Slammed

May 9, 2012 – Shelved
June 23, 2012 – Started Reading
June 24, 2012 –
page 115
36.28% "Seriously!? Frustration to the max. The slamming is awesome, it's making my fingers itch to write."
June 24, 2012 – Finished Reading
July 15, 2012 – Shelved as: best-of-the-best
October 13, 2012 – Shelved as: so-many-tears
June 30, 2013 – Shelved as: signed
June 30, 2013 – Shelved as: girl-crush
June 30, 2013 – Shelved as: book-boyfriends
June 30, 2013 – Shelved as: books-i-own

Donna {Book Passion for Life} Ooh Kait, I just came across this the other day and it sounds fantastic. I just finished Finding Home and that was brilliant! =)

Kait I've never heard of that one. I checked it out & it sounds very interesting. I've just started this. It's awesome so far! Definitely put it on your to read list. :]

Edmund Davis-Quinn I forgot how many tissues you need at the end and how much this book is about loss. And it's completely bemazing that this is her first book.