Wendy Darling's Reviews > Parasite

Parasite by Mira Grant

bookshelves: orbit, sci-fi-or-futuristic, supportive, november, adult, read-2013, 2013-favorites, poc, asian, action-packed

I WILL TAKE THE PILL, MIRA.

I wished the title PARASITOLOGY had stuck, though. We're big girls, we could have handled it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parasite.

May 9, 2012 – Shelved
October 19, 2013 – Started Reading
October 20, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)

Bonnie So. Dang. Excited.

Wendy Darling III know! *hops*

Bonnie I'll always be excited for more Mira. Even if we haven't even been given a summary yet. lol

message 4: by Wendy Darling (last edited Mar 04, 2013 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy Darling Hah hah, yeah. The name is enough, I don't even care what it's about. But the little blue pills are promising.

Bonnie Nope. Endless supply of love. hahaha

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead what is this madness? Whatever it is, I want. No summary and I still want.

message 7: by Wendy Darling (last edited Mar 04, 2013 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy Darling I have a guest post by her banked that I was planning on running this month, so it's cool the cover reveal and date were announced. :)

EXACTLY, Michelle. Who cares, they could deliver it to us today without any description and we'd be slobbering all over it!

Bonnie hahaha awww it's like a reunion. Remember our huge string before Blackout came out? We had planned on going to her house. We're only missing Maja.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "I have a guest post by her banked that I was planning on running this month, so it's cool the cover reveal and date were announced. :)

EXACTLY, Michelle. Who cares, they could deliver it to us tod..."

We are the zombies- mindless followers. How funny.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "hahaha awww it's like a reunion. Remember our huge string before Blackout came out? We had planned on going to her house. We're only missing Maja."

OMG... i was just thinking the same thing. We seem to always find each other on her books.

Wendy Darling Hah, yeah I remember--every time there's news on a Mira book we all swarm in. There's much less speculation with this, though, since we're not all WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THEM.

We have minds! We've just turned them over to Mira Grant science. ;)

Bonnie I love the anticipation of something new though. I'm so eager to learn more. :)

haha Yes! We've just given them over to a greater cause.

Wendy Darling Same here, I am really excited to see her go in a new direction. Although clearly with some similar virology content. I was talking to someone on Twitter whose dad recommended the Newsflesh series to her--he's a doctor/epidemiology specialist who "loved the science in the books and said it was basically dead on."

I wonder if this will have zombies, or if she's going to do something totally different? (view spoiler) Who need the pills to stay docile.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "I love the anticipation of something new though. I'm so eager to learn more. :)

haha Yes! We've just given them over to a greater cause."

Wendy Darling wrote: "Hah, yeah I remember--every time there's news on a Mira book we all swarm in. There's much less speculation with this, though, since we're not all WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THEM.

We have minds! We've ju..."

She is a smart one. I did an author interview with her and I was so intimidated. Thankfully, Regina asked all the intelligent questions. I seem to be a bit fangirl with her.

As for speculation, just wait, Mira Grant is twisted, somehow she has us always going WTF and loving it.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "I wonder if this will have zombies, or if she's going to do something totally different? [Maybe she will create an army of clones! (hide spoiler)] Who need the pills to stay docile. .."

Hahah... see speculation! She knows what she is doing. Don't think the lack of book summary was accidental.

Bonnie That's what was so crazy good about those books though... the research she did made the situations so realistic. I remember seeing her talking about (on twitter) the research she's been doing for this one so I anticipate this being fantastic. But I do wonder if she plans on keeping Mira Grant as only being related to zombie works.

message 17: by Wendy Darling (last edited Mar 04, 2013 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy Darling I remember your interview, Michelle! You and Regina did an awesome job. I am SO not a person who gets starstruck (view spoiler), but there are a couple of authors whose books mean so much to me I think I'd be rendered speechless if I ever did meet them. Even if I've spoken to them over email, etc. She'd be one, Maggie Stiefvater another. (Sorry, Michelle!) I actually backed away from the Maggie signing at ALA last year because I just couldn't handle the thought of it. Well, plus the line was huge.

And yeah, she will make us slaves and leave us crying no matter what the subject, hah. Can't help speculating, though.

Mira Grant--the pseudonym for Seanan Maguire's zombie canon. ;) I still need to read the Toby Daye series. I think I'm a little afraid of reading it, even though a lot of friends really liked the books.

Bonnie Yes, that review was fantastic. I don't blame you though, I would have likely been the same way. :D

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "I remember your interview, Michelle! You and Regina did an awesome job. I am SO not a person who gets starstruck [spoilers removed], but there area couple of authors whose books mean so much to me..."

Bonnie wrote: "You're quite right. I have yet to not adore anything of hers. Well, her UF series is a bit iffy but I hear it gets better as the series progresses. lol I've only read the first. "

I'm much more of a Mira Grant fan than a Seanan Maguire fan but I do enjoy the InCryptid series.

Ahhh Wendy, yes Miss Maggie is one of those rare differences we have in books. I like reading your reviews on her books much more than her books (that was naughty of me).

I think I need my eyes checked. I kept reading "Batman and a Bomb" over and over again. I finally read it right.

Bonnie hahaha Batman and a Bond, Wendy?! My my my..

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead It was fun chatting with you both. Till we meet again at a future Mira Grant book. Sadly, I'm forced to leave for a doctor's appointment. Take care!!!

Bonnie Take care, Michelle! :)

Wendy Darling Batman and a Bomb would make a great title, hah. And Bonnie, you have no idea. *fluffs hair*

Till we meet again, Michelle! xox

Bonnie hahaha You're so funny. I HAVE to ask WHICH Batman and Bond... but I can understand if you don't kiss and tell. ;)

Wendy Darling The sexier ones. :D (view spoiler) They did all the kissing, I just enjoyed it, hee hee.

Bonnie Lol The sexier ones. You crack me up.

Wendy Darling I'm such a comedian. :P

Did you notice that the title for SYMBIOGENESIS changed to Echo, too? I liked the original titles for both so much better! More memorable, more oomph.

Bonnie You know, I liked the originals a lot better too. I don't dislike the switch to Parasite as much as the switch to Echo. I mean, Echo? Versus Symbiogenesis? Seems like something Marketing decided, that it was far too big a word and people will get turned off by it? Echo is boring.

Wendy Darling Agreed, on everything you said. There must be a zillion books called ECHO, too.

I'm surprised at both decisions--Orbit publishes smart books, and Mira Grant's audience doesn't exactly shy away from science. Both the original titles were awesome, though I agree PARASITE isn't bad. Just less interesting compared to the original. ECHO is just boring, though, like you said.

Wendy Darling BUT BUT BUT. (view spoiler) Are these two related, or standalones? THERE IS NO INFORMATION.

Bonnie Echo instantly reminds me of Echo for some reason. And that is not a good thing.

But are Echo and Parasite supposed to be a series of some sort? If so I dislike the change even more. I think the combination of 'Parasitology' and 'Symbiogenesis' was brilliant sounding.

Wendy Darling Hah, I think we posted at the same time, because I am wondering that, too. I guess I could ask the Orbit publicist at some point. Or Seanan.

You're right, if they are related, the original titles are even more appropriate. *sigh* If we ran the world...

Bonnie hahah I know, right? I mean sure they kind of sound like textbook names but as soon as you realize who the author is then you know. But yes, original names definitely should have been kept.

Wendy Darling I wish I'd had textbooks like that! I loved biology in school anyway, but how awesome would those subjects have been?

Bonnie Me and science didn't get along, but a textbook with that title would have definitely been intriguing. :D

Wendy Darling I wasn't a huge science person in school either, but I did love biology. I spent a happy summer in AP Bio dissecting...all kinds of things. :D

Sometimes I wish you could take certain classes recreationally. You don't appreciate an education sometimes until you're well out of school. Ohh, Mira should team up to create some sort of post-apocalyptic adventure world, with zombies and CDC headquarters and Hazmat suits. I would totally go.

Bonnie Yes, I miss school sometimes. I started working pretty much straight out of high school and only just graduated to get my associates in September 2011 but I still miss it. I think that should be more readily available for adults who want to continue their education taking various classes, that would be great.

Oh my gosh. That sounds so freaking neat! What an idea that would be.

Wendy Darling Ohh, congratulations Bonnie! It's awesome that you got your degree, I didn't realize it was so recently. :) That's a lot of work on top of taking care of a husband and kids. Is your wedding still this fall, btw? How are your plans coming? My BFF got engaged to his boyfriend right after Christmas, and they're planning a summer wedding. I am freaked out on their behalf, hah.

If this wondrous world of Mira Grant ever happens, we HAVE to meet up there.

Bonnie Thanks! I haven't been able to utilize my degree yet because the job market sucks... but I'm still glad I got it. It was crazy hard but I'm still trying to plan on going back for bachelor's one of these days too. Plans for the wedding have been put on hold for now... unfortunately I'm the only one currently working since he lost his job last August so times have been tough. But it'll happen when it happens, I'm not too worried. :)

Oh, yes. If this happens, I'll have my end of the world survival kit ready to go. :D

Wendy Darling It's a tough job market right now for sure. I'm so sorry your fiance lost his job, too, I had no idea. :( I'm glad you seem to be doing okay and are in good spirits, though. Hopefully things will pick up soon.

Bonnie Haha.. Yeah, well it took me a while to get to this point. A few months ago is a different story. But, I just try and remember it could be worse. It could definitely be better... But life always has its ups and downs I suppose.

Wendy Darling Yeah. The last year and a half were absolutely horrible for me personally in addition to all the stupid stuff online, so...I can relate a bit. But I'm in a happier place now, and I'm glad you are, too.

Feel free to email me anytime, Bonnie, even if I'm not around as much online. xo

Bonnie Thanks, Wendy. That means a lot.

Wendy Darling Well, I mean it...even if other people will tell you, rightly so, that I am also terrible at answering email, hah. I'm terrible at keeping up with things, but I TRY. And I love you, so there's that. :)

Bonnie It's the thought that counts and all that? ;)

Wendy Darling In my case, certainly!! Hee hee.

Re: bookie again. Look how even the series title couldn't even be Parasitology, it's Parasitism. So there's definitely more than one, but does this mean ECHO is a separate thing? Or has GoodReads just not be updated yet? It's upsetting there aren't any answers. It seems a bit late.

I'm excited about Doctor Sleep, too. Lots of great books to look forward to this year.

Bonnie Ohhh... the series title must have just been added! I'm assuming Echo is a separate thing then... Strange. Yes, I would very much like to know more. I don't like being out of the loop. hahaa

I JUST read The Shining so I'm looking forward to Doctor Sleep as well. The summary sounds quite not what I was expecting but I'll be reading it regardless.

message 48: by Wendy Darling (last edited Mar 04, 2013 10:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy Darling We are halfway through The Shining audiobook, which is fantastic. It's one of the those stories that is so familiar, though (despite the differences between book and film), that it all feels like I'm reliving the story again rather than reading it for the first time, if you know what I mean.

Bonnie I started reading it but ended up switching to the audiobook. :) It was fantastic. It got me through an entire day sitting in a high school gym at one of my kids wrestling meets. lol

Wendy Darling We had to put it aside, but need to pick it up again asap. We listened to CARRIE on audio narrated by Sissy Spacek, too--it was fabulous! I really enjoy audiobooks, but I'm horribly picky about the narrators. I dislike probably 90% of the ones I sample, hah.

« previous 1