Donna Weaver's Reviews > Orphans of the Sky

Orphans of the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein

May 09, 2012

liked it
Read from May 09 to 12, 2012

This is not my favorite Heinlein book. I was really drawn to some of the characters, especially Jimmy/Joe. I wanted to like Hugh, and I realize this book was written in a different time, but I'm not into spousal abuse. I don't care what age you come from, I'm not going to like a character who hits his wife in the mouth--especially not when it's hard enough to knock a tooth out.

I'm guessing this was written before Heinlein realized he liked strong, capable women.

I think Beth Revis's "Across the Universe" addresses this issue of a colony ship that's been gone so long that the descendents of the original people have forgotten the purpose of their trip and does so in a more entertaining way. While her book deals with the issues of incest and the resulting likelihood of deformity, Heinlein has it be from radiation. He doesn't even touch on the issues of people mating who are too closely related.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orphans of the Sky.

Christine Did he ever realize that he liked strong, capable women?

Christine I will look for Revis' book.

Donna Weaver Christine, he did. The women in his later books were kick butt--feminine yet deadly. Check out Puppet Masters for a quick read example.