Unbridled's Reviews > 1Q84

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

May 09, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

There's really nothing to dislike here - like other Murakami books, this is light and easily seductive and quietly engrossing - for long stretches. However, at page 675, I really didn't care to read the detailing in Aomame's dreams - I wouldn't care for ‘dream-reading’ at page 75, much less page 675. If I had any complaint, it would be along those lines - the book could have ended 300-400 pages earlier. What’s inside this book? Kafka, manga-like fantasy (which I don't read, but which I feel, and which Murakami has said he does not read), film noir, ghost story, romance, and girl-power-action-heroism (think Joss Whedon) - all in all, much of everything, all expertly woven into that Murakami-brand of magical-realism. Is it genius? No. Is it skilled? Yes. Is it brilliant? No. Is it entertaining? Mostly. Now, about that ending - Haruki, yeah, I get it, but you should have followed the rule of Chekhov's gun. I don't expect an air-tight closure, I know you do this sort of thing, but the ending to 1Q84 feels cheap, rushed, and hollow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.