Shivani Chauhan's Reviews > Patient: The True Story of a Rare Illness

Patient by Ben Watt

Patient by Ben Watt is a autobiographical narrative about his struggle to fight against death and a rare illness. It was a different read for me, in the sense that it was the very first time I was exploring a patient's perspective, which time and again made me realize about the fleeting nature of life. The book very well captures the experience of hospital stay journey along with managing the disquieting feelings of family members.

Ben Watt, who is the author, is also a remarkable songwriter, musician, radio presenter and DJ. The story is heart-rending and plain-speaking and offers an unflinching view of author's life in hospital. But there were certain expressions here and there which also caused hilarity while reading. The writing style is plain and simple, yet effective and striking.

I liked the truthful and candid approach. How Ben is struck by the strangeness of his surroundings inclusive of other patients of varying age and health conditions, visitors continuously entering or leaving and have health professionals on yelp.

The story additionally outlines how body reacts to medicines and diverse medical treatment, and also about our body's ability to heal itself.

The author laid bare his soul and put forwards the revelations about his early life and personal relationships. The amount of honesty that comes out while elucidating his bond with his close ones and how he brings forth his exposure to different medical evaluation is noteworthy.

However, there were a few instances where I felt that the medical description was detailed and stretched a bit, which got me distracted in some parts.

Overall, a short and quick read and engaging read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patient.

Finished Reading