Cheryl's Reviews > Bring Up the Bodies

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

bookshelves: british, fiction, historical-fiction, literature, favorites, 2012-favourite, booker-2012-list

Aaaahhh. Fine, fine, fine. The final last paragraph -- perfect.
Cromwell now to me will always be "he, Cromwell". This little stylistic flourish did add clarity, compared with Wolf Hall. To purposefully use just "he" in the first book was at times confusing, forcing one to stop and step out of the story to regain one's bearings. Sort of like breaking the fourth wall -- and perhaps that was the point then, a metafictional technique? but it was too intrusive.
This book just sailed on from Wolf Hall. Immersion was swift and total.
Another Booker winner, I hope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bring Up the Bodies.

Quotes Cheryl Liked

Hilary Mantel
“Truth can break the gates down, truth can howl in the street; unless truth is pleasing, personable and easy to like, she is condemned to stay whimpering at the back door.”
Hilary Mantel, Bring Up the Bodies

Hilary Mantel
“She is very plain. What does Henry see in her?'"
“He thinks she's stupid. He finds it restful.”
Hilary Mantel, Bring Up the Bodies

May 8, 2012 – Shelved
May 22, 2012 – Started Reading
May 22, 2012 –
page 3
0.69% ""His children are falling from the sky." \n Yay! FINALLY the pre-ordered book arrives from Chapters, two weeks after release. Damn, I have to work this this week :-("
May 26, 2012 –
page 159
36.81% ""Truth can break the gates down, truth can howl in the street; unless truth is pleasing, personable and easy to like, she is condemned to stay whimpering at the back door.""
May 30, 2012 –
page 330
May 31, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Susan you beat me!!! So glad you loved it Cheryl..

Lisa I 100% agree about the use of "he" in Wolf Hall and am relieved to read all of the reviews of the previous book that I was not the only one confused and frustrated! I had to keep flipping back to find out who was speaking. So, with this installment, I was extremely happy with "he, Cromwell" it was much more clear and a delightful flourish to her writing style.

message 3: by Nina (new) - rated it 1 star

Nina Chambers This "he" business is sooo clumsy! Totally unnecessary & time-consuming sorting out to which he the author refers! So far, just annoying! I welcome the few, he, Cromwell's but there are not enough of those! Most of the he, does refer to Cromwell. But not ALL! She, the author, could have been a bit more adroit in this regard!

message 4: by Nina (new) - rated it 1 star

Nina Chambers And unfortunately, so far, I don't love it! Maybe later in the book... I hope so.

Marian Dripping in like a narcotic. Ahhhh.

Cheryl Marian wrote: "Dripping in like a narcotic. Ahhhh."
ha ha, spoken like a true book junky