Brian Fatah Steele's Reviews > The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes

The Monster's Corner by Christopher Golden

bookshelves: dark-fantasy, anthology, horror

This anthology was not what I expected. Even though Golden tells us in the forward that he broke his own initial rule about "human monsters," I suppose I was still biased based on the cover art. Or, ya know, the title itself. While there were a number of beasties and creatures, a large amount of these tales centered on more humanoid-like entities and their very human-like behaviors.

Regardless, I didn't find any tales in this anthology that I didn't like. Some were obviously better than others, but even the weakest of the bunch could have been shining gems in a lesser collection. Seemed to be a lot of sex, too, which for some unexplainable reason, I found weird from Golden.

As themed anthologies go, I've seen stronger, but as simply a collection of horror stories it was excellent. I recommend it sheerly to read some amazing work from a good handful of the hardest working (and criminally under-appreciated) writers in the genre today. I feel few fans of modern horror will be disappointed.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monster's Corner.

Finished Reading