Chris Norbury's Reviews > How Not To Die

How Not To Die by Michael  Greger

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended for: Anyone with health issues or those concerned with eating a healthier diet

An outstanding reference and analysis of how important healthy food is to maintain a healthy body and lifestyle. Don't be daunted by the length of the book or the myriad references. Dr. Greger writes in a casual conversational style that makes for easy reading and understanding. The thousands of studies he cites are listed just to confirm that real science has gone into his research and conclusions. He's not selling something or lobbying for a pharmaceutical company or a certain food industry like the beef, dairy, or fast food industries that are getting rich by selling you unhealthy food.

The book can be read straight through, but I intend to also use it as a handy reference when I wonder about a certain type of food, how much is enough or too much, and the health ramifications--good or bad--about each food group or a specific item. Even though Greger seems to be advocating a strict vegetarian diet, I think his point is to turn to plant-based foods to improve anyone's diet, especially if they're eating mostly meat, fish, and dairy products. I intend to moderate my diet by adding a little more beans and cruciferous veggies to what I already think is a relatively healthy diet.

Well worth the money and a real eye-opening work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Not To Die.

April 5, 2020 – Started Reading