Easily Mused's Reviews > Toonopolis: Gemini

Toonopolis by Jeremy Rodden

May 08, 2012

liked it

Toonopolis: Gemini is an interesting foray through a bizarre world full of cartoon characters.Jeremy Rodden has no shortage of imagination gaining him high point is Originality, but for a Young Adult novel, I felt that it missed the mark. Too much emphasis was placed on secondary characters, keeping the main character–a human teen named Gemini–in the shadows.

What I Loved: I enjoyed the illustrations at the first of each chapter, and would have loved to see more. I found some of the elements of the story quite humorous or clever–the superhero sidekicks sitting at the “kiddie table” and the Sea of Vampires being a collection of vampires–much like a body of water–thanks to the abundance of people on earth with vampires on the brain.

What I Didn’t Love: There are several things that just didn’t work for me with Toonopolis: Gemini–from some of the character names/personalities to the never-ending quest. I felt that the main character, Gemini, was too old for this novel. While his actions, words, and body language did not match his age (which is spelled out for the reader over and over again), the novel would have been more successful if he were younger and this book was geared more toward middle-grade readers.

Overall: I wanted to love this book. As a product of Saturday morning cartoons, I appreciated the puns and infused pop culture, but as a YA novel, I feel this fell short. There wasn’t enough depth and character growth for this audience, and the main character–Gemini was out-shined by his cartoon counterparts.

(originally reviewed at EasilyMused.com)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toonopolis.