sadie's Reviews > Are You My Mother?

Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel

May 08, 2012

Read in May, 2012

I'm grateful, for Bechdel's sake, that she has had extensive therapy.

I am simultaneously bored, fascinated, and compelled by her particular story.
Her value of self psychoanalysis ad infinitum seems like a cheat ... to her own ability to live her life fully.

Narcissism is a mofo. Her mother's specifically.

It's ironic that the book is structured in such as way that we, the audience, are tacitly participating and explicitly witnessing, in a sense, her healing. Some might see this as manipulative...but the reader chooses to read the story. Soooo...

For me, Bechdel subverts her emotional life by valuing and focusing so heavily on the cerebral.

I hope she dares to connect with someone, someday in a meaningful way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are You My Mother?.

Davida I wonder if seeing her in person would have changed your feelings about her. She just seemed more human and insecure, as I told you. But I def. see your point about being overly cerebral.

message 2: by sadie (new) - added it

sadie In her stance of remaining in the "safe" place of the overly analytical and cerebral, I just think it's a lost opportunity to connect with a larger audience.

Maybe connecting with others wasn't her purpose in writing this book...but then I switch back to the notion that writing a book has built into it the very idea of an audience.

Whatevs.

These book maybe means toward actualizing, right? So that's good!

Maybe her mother was the only reader she had in mind...? meh.

Davida I think I should actually read the book before I continue to defend her anymore! Hahaha! I will keep your comments in mind as I read...don't want to read it yet, though. ;)