Erin's Reviews > She Walks in Beauty

She Walks in Beauty by Siri Mitchell

May 08, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: christian-fiction

Clara Carter is the heroine of "She Walks in Beauty." She is a young lady with a love for learning. But this is New York City in the Gilded Age, and Clara's value is seemingly measured only by which eligible bachelor she can catch after her debut. There is only one bachelor deemed suitable by her family: the De Vries heir. Everything depends upon her ability to meet, charm, and secure Franklin De Vries before the season is over.

The society scene goes against everything in Clara's nature, but she puts on a brave face and seeks to do what she must to please her family. She is blessed with a good friend in her neighbor Lizzie, but Lizzie is also out to capture the vaulted Mr. De Vries and this may prove more of a test than their relationship can handle. Clara's father and aunt do everything in their power to advance Clara's standing, but much of it will be up to Clara herself to form the alliance they demand of her.

I had grown quite accustomed to Mitchell's normal employment of more than one first-person narrator and found myself missing the lack it in this story. The tale unfolds only from Clara's view, and my own opinion is that it would have been better with a balancing voice because Clara was a little boring to me. She had a course that must be followed and although she was resistant, it was still mostly the path she took. The various small mysteries presented in the story seemed rather obvious to me as well. That is not to say that I didn't enjoy it or get totally hooked in. It was very well-written and well-researched and I was definitely drawn in. It just didn't have the emotionally resounding characters or depth usually present in Mitchell's works.

The story did possess some wonderful twists towards the end, and as always, you never knew if the heroine was going to end up with the man who won her heart until the last minute. I would recommend this for any readers who enjoy learning about society and political issues from the late 1800's.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Walks in Beauty.

May 8, 2012 – Shelved