Emily's Reviews > The Girl is Murder

The Girl is Murder by Kathryn Miller Haines

May 08, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, mystery, online-book-group, ya-fiction

Why I picked it up: A review I read compared main character Iris to Veronica Mars. I nominated it for my GR YA Historical Fiction group’s monthly selection based on that alone.

Iris is 15 in 1942 and her life has changed a whole lot in the past year. Her father was injured at Pearl Harbor and is now home trying to make his detective agency work as an amputee with an artificial leg. Her mother committed suicide after learning that her husband would be coming home without a limb. Iris and her father have moved to the lower east side of Manhattan and she is now in public school, something thought to be horrid by the people at her previous all-girls private school. A boy from Iris’s new school has disappeared and her father has been asked to investigate. Iris wants to help her father with the detective agency and does so on the sly when he refuses her help.

I enjoyed it. It wasn’t extremely deep, but the historical time period is captured really well and the mystery is fairly complex. Iris is more naïve than Veronica Mars, but I understand the comparison, though it is worth noting that Veronica worked with her father with his permission. The class distinctions were especially interesting to me, and, I suspect, especially accurate.

Contains: alcohol use; one mention of “reefer;” vague references to sex
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl is Murder.