Joe Bathelt's Reviews > Atomic Habits: An Easy and Proven Way to Build Good Habits and Break Bad Ones

Atomic Habits by James Clear

19578117

Admittedly, I have a bit of a penchant for self-help books that promise greater productivity with less effort. But I also pride myself and separating the chaff from the nuggets of actually useful information. “Atomic Habits” has some clear strengths but also some limitations. Regarding strengths, I really liked that all the advice was very well researched and based on solid scientific evidence. Further, the methods seemed tried and tested, which enhances their potential usefulness for anyone trying to implement the guidelines in their own life. The style that the book is written in is also of a high standard for this genre. The author was not overselling the advice and was also not hiding being obscure language. However, I did find that the content was a bit blown up at times. The authors sometimes repeats points again and again using slightly different metaphors, even though it was quite clear the first time. Actually, I think that the entire book could be cut down to the short summaries at the end of each chapter without much loss of understanding. Anyway, it is an easy read and having examples and analogies is probably helpful to digest the advice. Another shortcoming of the book is that some of the scientific explanations are not quite correct - note: I hold a PhD in cognitive neuroscience and am probably more critical than most readers. These inaccuracies do not affect the main message, but it is a shame that there was no better scientific editing involved. In sum, I did find reading this book useful and started implementing a lot of the advice in my life. I think that many people would benefit from reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atomic Habits.

Started Reading