Valerie Ormond's Reviews > RAJA, Story of a Racehorse

RAJA, Story of a Racehorse by Anne C. Hambleton

May 08, 2012

bookshelves: horses, young-adult

Raja, Story of a Racehorse, tells the story of a Thoroughbred destined for greatness challenged by fate in the whirlwind adventure that his life becomes. To those not familiar with horses, the series of events may seem improbable, but for those who have seen horses change hands and careers often, the story is completely believable. Although at times the reader is left feeling Raja's pain, that discomfort is important for readers to understand the reality of people and horses and how sometimes even well-meaning people can do harm to animals by simply not knowing what to do.
Anne Hambleton writes from the horse's perspective, and her years as a horsewoman shine through brilliantly. I even found myself thinking more about my horse and his thoughts while reading this book. She educates readers without coming across as an instructor and provides exacting details about many different riding disciplines. Hambleton creates great empathy for the horses in the story and also depicts elements such as herd dynamics which are so important to understanding horses and their social make-up.
Margaret Kauffman's lovely illustrations complement the book well, and the text design and layout were very appealing. I highly recommend this book to both horse people and non-horse people. Hambleton's beautiful descriptions, excellent writing, exciting plot, and portrayal of many aspects of the horse industry create a wonderful read for all ages. I hope to see more from this debut author.Valerie Ormond

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read RAJA, Story of a Racehorse.