Avid Reader Amy's Reviews's Reviews > An Old-fashioned Romance

An Old-fashioned Romance by Marcia Lynn McClure

May 08, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary

So in this book we have Breck McCall who is in love with her gorgeous boss Reese Thatcher. Breck doesn't see herself as someone who would catch Reese's eye. She is a honest, sweet and caring person. A country girl trapped in the city, Little does she know that Reese is just a country boy lost in the city too. Thanks to some sneaky work by her good friends, they arrange for Reese to surprise Breck on her birthday as a character out of her favorite book. The night of her birthday they share a kiss and this opens up the opportunity to explore something more than a employee/boss relationship. They proceed with their relationship, even spending the holidays with Reese's family. After spending Thanksgiving at his family's farm Reese realizes what he wants most and that is his country life back with Breck by his side.

Mrs. McClure's books are new to me. I am not one who tends to read books that have a religious tone to them, but I loved this one. She did an awesome job at writing this one to appeal to all audiences. She did not compromise the integrity of her work to do so and I applaud her for that. She kept the clean format but the romance was still in the forefront. Her characters have depth and and are easily relatable.
I like the joke she had in the book about the McCall Ranch. It is call El Costa Lotta McCall Ranch. Reese said he didn't get it at first and sadly neither did I. I admit it that one went over my head. (:
Kay is like me, an avid reader and wanted to tell the world about the books you read. That's why I started a blog. All of Breck's friends, or as Reese calls them the Pumpkin Sweater club, are great friends that we all wish we had.
I liked the romance between Breck and Reese. They have always been attracted to each other but neither thought to act on it until Breck's birthday. It was almost comical when they realized it.

Overall I loved the book. The author did an excellent job with appealing to a wide audience. I look forward to reading more of her books. I rated it a 5 because it surprised me with how much I enjoyed it. This is a clean romance. There is no cursing, violence or sexual situations in the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Old-fashioned Romance.