Shivani Chauhan's Reviews > Two Nights

Two Nights by Kathy Reichs

To add diversity in my literary experiences, I'd chosen this book to explore the thriller and suspense genre, in particular. And I have to say, this was a good read to start the month off right.

The book essentially revolves around a former cop, Sunday Night a.k.a Sunnie, who is haunted by her past experiences and chooses to live in isolation on a remote island.

As the story moves forward from here, Kathy Reichs's brilliant choice of words intend to help reader visualize the scenes with every chapter. The sharp witted dialogues and strong comebacks make this book an engaging read. While flipping every page, the reader gradually becomes more interested in the plot.

Moreover, the author is a forensic anthropologist, and thus her detailed and analytical approach to present information to readers is great. Outside of professional contexts, Kathy's personal writing style is distinctly reflected in the way she builds up her characters.

The way Sunnie deals with failures and troubles on her way is quite impressive. The protagonist's sharp intellect along with intuitive abilities is what makes her crooked yet gripping character throughout the story. Despite being wrapped up in perplexities of her existential self and coping with repressed childhood memories, she possess some incredible qualities of a female detective.

Although I found some parts were stretched a tiny bit more, the author was successful in building up the suspense till the end. I'd expected to read more about Sunnie and Stella Bright and having them share a heartwarming and realistic conversation in the finale. Nevertheless, it is a dark, captivating and medium paced book.

I would love to read more of her work in future. Also, I am looking forward to read novels with spine-chilling suspense and thriller.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Nights.

Finished Reading