Julie's Reviews > The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume 1

May 08, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from June 13 to 15, 2012

*4.5 Stars*

Beautifully rendered first edition to the series!

The Eye of the World Graphic Novel Volume One depicts a world where the Light and Dark were once at war and may be again. The focal character is a young man known as Rand al’Thorn who lives in a peaceful town until chaos ensues his people. After a few revelations, he sets off on a journey with a few others in an attempt to keep his home safe. Little does he know his journey has just begun.

First, I would like to say that although I have not read The Eye of the World, the novel this graphic is based on, I had no problem catching on to the story. I am sure there was more in the book than the graphic novel so now I am intrigued to find a copy. But without reading the book, I am unable to determine the accuracy or depiction value.

With that said, I really enjoyed the story and easily became engrossed with the characters and scenes. I was so glued to the pages that when I saw the “To be continued,” I was left shocked and wanting more. The story is very interesting and leads to what I imagine will be a great fantasy series.

The scenes were beautifully rendered and the color was fantastic. I loved the color in this novel. It set the tone of the scenes just right to reflect the characters feelings and intentions. Although, I enjoyed the artwork, there were a few problems I had. In some of the beginning scenes, some the young men looked a tad too similar. The other thing I noticed, was that the character’s images seemed inconsistent a times. It was not enough for me to confuse the characters but it is something worth mentioning.

Overall, I thought the graphic novel had a great story and alluring artwork. I will definitely be looking forward to getting my hands on the next one to see what happens next.

Recommend to Fans of The Wheel of Time Series, Fantasy Graphic Novels and Fantasy Books.

*Although I won a free copy of this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway, my review is not altered. This is my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eye of the World.