Avry15's Reviews > Forgiven

Forgiven by Jana Oliver

bookshelves: angels, action, demons, conspiracy, paranormal-romance, reviewed, young-adult

originally appeared on: Bookshelf Confessions

Okay, so first I’d like you to know that this was the first book I read from the author---the first book I read from the series. So I don’t have anything to compare to especially with the previous books in the series. Though personally, I asked to review this book is because the many positive reviews I heard from the first two- The Demon Trapper’s Daughter and Soul Thief.

Surprisingly enough, even with the vast new and old characters- the demons, the trappers, fallen, summoners, I wasn’t entirely lost. Once I tuned in with Riley, everything comes vivid in her POV. I understand the situation she’s in, the relationships and misunderstandings she had with the other characters and even her choice to uncover the mysteries and protect humanity. The storyline was easy to follow but the twists and turns are not easily figured out.

I loved Jana Oliver’s writing style, its fresh and unique. The readers were always up for action and at the same time, subplots were given emphasis and the tension between the protagonists, the mysteries, the conflicts were all there. She wrote the book with passion and deep detail that it’s easy to imagine the world she made, the demons, and the action-packed scenarios happening.

I also loved Riley, she’s a strong character that doesn’t depend on her leading man or anyone, she actually thinks about resolutions and the things to do in order to make things right especially the consequences of her past actions. Her behavior was measured and it’s less on drama, she was too mature for a seventeen-year-old, which isn’t bad.

Beck…at first, I thought Beck’s a girl..:D. He was hot, gorgeous, yes, but it was really unfair of him to get really mad with Riley, just because she made the mistake of sleeping with another man, which, take note, Beck had been with many girls before. I would have loved to see more of them- Beck and Riley that is.

Meanwhile Justine, I hate her. Though I know, she played an important role in the story. Just don’t want to talk about her. By the way, another queer about this book, is that the feminine names are mostly used by boys and the masculine ones, Riley, Justine are for girls.

The ending? I would have like to see the epic battle to be really epic. I was expecting far something greater and yet the resolution was too perfect for me. With all the non-stop action, the ending seemed a little too easy maybe. Meanwhile Riley’s dad is a character I would never forget, her love for Riley that even in death, he would still do everything to keep her safe.

I laughed, I cried, got annoyed, mad, I felt everything while reading this book. I can’t wait to read the last book in the series and see how the story would end and especially to have more of Riley and Beck.

Forgiven is an action-packed, enthralling and riveting tale of Demon Trappers and the world in chaos of the near Armageddon set in the future but not too futuristic. With heart-pounding, jaw-dropping scenarios, Forgiven would leave you wanting for more. Highly Recommended!..:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forgiven.

May 7, 2012 – Shelved