Siv's Reviews > Miracles and Other Reasonable Things: A Story of Unlearning and Relearning God

Miracles and Other Reasonable Things by Sarah Bessey

bookshelves: non-fiction-christian

I've now read all of Sarah's books and this is her best. Oh-so-vulnerable, gut-wrenching, thoughtful, loving... Bravo, Sarah, for writing your journey so that we may be blessed through your suffering.

"The Holy Spirit is the fire of love burning in the Church and in our hearts, even though we often cover him with the ash of our sins. Let us ask him: 'Spirit of God, Lord, who [dwells] in my heart and in the heart of the Church, guiding and shaping her in diversity, come! Like water, we need you to live. Come down upon us anew, teach us unity, renew our hearts and teach us to love as you love us, to forgive as you forgive us.'" -Pope Francis (119)

"Prayer has become a way of holding space for all that is broken in this world while my hands work toward creating a bit of cleanliness, a bit of order, a bit of beauty and life and healing around me" (147)

"The times in my life when I have experienced transformation, it has been at the intersection of my choices and the divine, mystical stirring of the Holy Spirit. It's the dance that changes me from the inside out--as I reach forward, I receive; as I step back, I surrender; I'm becoming who I was meant to be all along" (167)

"How would God like to mother me today? If God was a strong, patient, wise, kind, no-nonsense, deeply loving mother, what would She want for me today?" (172)

"...learn what it is to be an ordinary miracle" (202)

"I pray for the courage to admit that you are not fine. And that when you say those words aloud that you would be met by love and care. I pray that you would remain open to participating in your own healing, even if it comes to you in ways that you resent and fear at first. Just because it's new to you doesn't mean God isn't already waiting there for you in the doctor's office, in the therapist's room, on the page, in the conversation, in the solitude. May you welcome the love of God to your most tender places.
"I pray that you would stay open to the ways that God is transforming us" (210)

"May you be swept off your feet by the goodness and welcome of God, the ferocious love and friendship of Jesus, the delight and disruptions of the Holy Spirit. May you love because you were loved first" (211)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracles and Other Reasonable Things.

Started Reading