Rosie's Reviews > Shadows

May 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: pnr, series-to-follow, owned-kindle
Read from May 07 to 08, 2012

This novella tells the story of Daemon's brother Dawson and the human girl he falls for, Bethany. It is a prequel to the events in Obsidian, which I read first, meaning that I could appreciate some of the wry foreshadowing. However, I think you could read them in either order and it would not matter.

Dawson and Bethany are a very sweet couple and their relationship really captures the heady, addictive nature of first love without being too obsessive. The heightened drama is all focused on the disapproval of Dawson's fellow aliens and the Arum/DOD threat, though there isn't really enough time in this short story to build up that tension much.

A few of the questions I would have liked addressed in Obsidian were answered here (like when they started living on their own and how they blagged the parental absence) which I thought was good as it stopped it from being a straightforward repetition of the longer book. It was also good to see how the story effected Daemon, though I was expecting a little bit more time dedicated to his POV at the end.

Overall, a worthwhile addition to the series and one which made me want to read Obsidian all over again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows.

05/07/2012